Thursday, October 21, 2010

Be Aware, Get Support

By providing more survivorship resources, perhaps we could reduce the 20% of husbands who leave their wives after they’re diagnosed with breast cancer. At least we might help the numerous children under 10 who must then become their mothers’ primary caregivers. Survivorship information could provide answers to questions you didn’t even know to ask: Did you know that cutting your cuticles and flossing your teeth during chemotherapy could have serious complications? Did you know there are foods and body care products that women should avoid if their breast cancer is fueled by estrogen?

Comparing experiences with other survivors and realizing you are not alone is empowering. While knowledge is power, online breast cancer resources run the gamut between ludicrous and life-saving, so only visit accredited sites you know and trust. Ask your local Komen affiliate for names of support groups in your area. Also look for local yoga, tai chi, meditation or healthy cooking classes. Many cancer treatment facilities offer counseling services to help patients and their families cope. I urge you to take advantage of these services because it’s hard to heal and move forward if you’re rooted in fear and anger.

As you may have guessed, I’m a breast cancer survivor. Six years ago I was diagnosed and since then, I’ve had 10 breast cancer surgeries and eight rounds of chemotherapy. In addition to being a breast cancer survivor, I know what it’s like to be the child of a parent who died of cancer and caregiver to my late husband, who died of cancer. I know what cancer families need. A year ago, I created BreastCancerSisterhood.com. Our mission is to become the leading online resource for all things related to living with and surviving breast cancer. Highlights of this content-rich site include BRENDA’S BLOG, named a Top 10 Breast Cancer Blog by blogs.com and bizymoms.com; Amy’s blog for children and teens whose parents have cancer, plus 100 original videos created for breast cancer patients/survivors, husbands/caregivers, and kids.



View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment