Monday, September 6, 2010

Rate this Recipe: Grilled Shrimp

once a month, I'll review a recipe from the government. Think Julie and Julia. Our first recipe is from FDA's Office of Women's Health: Diabetes Recipe Cards (also available in Spanish). You can order this free recipe and other recipes online from the Federal Citizen Information Center.

Recipe: Grilled Shrimp with Pasta and Pineapple Salsa

I made a few tweaks:

I bought fresh pineapple, already cut instead of canned. I used half of a green pepper instead of 1 jalapeno pepper. I bought fresh, deveined shrimp; I just had to peel them so it saved me time. You can also buy a package of frozen shrimp already peeled and deveined; thaw it out according to the directions on the package. I bought whole wheat rotini pasta to make it a little healthier. I cooked it according to the package.

Cooking experience:

I don’t own an outdoor grill, so I used an indoor grill pan, sprayed with cooking oil. I set the burner to medium-high.

This recipe required a lot of chopping, so I probably would make this on the weekend unless I pre-chopped everything beforehand. I also used a mini-chop to dice the onions - less tears for me.

It took me about an hour from start to finish. Maybe if my knife skills were better, it would’ve saved me time.



View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment